13 August 2012

A busy weekend - part 2

As I was saying, there were two other things I got to this weekend, one of which I've been wanting to do for a long time.  A greenhouse.  You may remember my sad little line up of pots by the house.  They were in a shaded position for summer but in the stone cold dark on a winters day, so nothing much was growing.  I'd been looking at shadehouses but they are a little pricey and more than we could spend right now.  So I got something less grand but it will hopefully do the job for a few years.

We put it in a sheltered spot in case the wind whips up and blows it right away.  Its also one of the last flat spots on the property.  Its the other side of the driveway from the veggie patch but these two issues seemed to outway proximity.  So I packed up all my cuttings and seed trays and move to my new home.  But can I just say it was as tricky to construct as an Ikea wardrobe!!  Hours and hours of spanner work there.....

I've put black plastic down to kill the weeds so it feels like camping when you go inside.  But it seems a much better arrangement and hopefully the plants will all be happy there.  I had a nice time potting up lots of pumpkin and rosella seeds that I'd saved, hoping they'll germinate so I can put them onto the swales as part of my food forest.  The mulberry cuttings have really taken off (given to me by Linda, my wonderful friend from the local growers group) and they come from a high yielding mulberry, so I have high hopes.  I plan to put one in the little girls run for a bit of food for them and the rest in the forest.  I'm also growing a number of fruit trees from seeds just to see if I can.  So far so good and we'll just see how they fruit over time.

Finally, the last job of the weekend was to finish my garden bed along the north side of the veggie patch.  Up until now, its been tall grass, throwing seeds into the patch and looking generally unkept.  I've still got to throw the mulch down, but its so much better.
My back and shoulders were so stiff when I woke up this morning from all the pick action but it was well worth it.  Below is the other end of the line, so you can imagine how nice it will look with the mulch on.  Also, all the grass I dug out went straight over the fence into patch 3 as mulch and chicken feed.  There were a few earthworms as well, so the girls were very happy with that and each gave me egg this morning to say thanks.

5 comments:

  1. I wish you as prolific a harvest from your greenhouse, as that which I got (last season) from my shadecloth veggie patch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani - hopefully it will mean I can fill up my food forest and veggie patches with more seed saving. Its just so nice to have a dedicated space with room to work in

      Delete
  2. Love that little green house , I should probably do something like that too - it is very windy here on the hill, do you think it would blow away?
    Looks like lots if happening in your garden for Spring, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will do the trick I think. I picked it up from Bunnings, but it does say on the box that its not designed for snow or high winds. So hence positioning it in a relatively sheltered spot. But I did peg it down in four places, just in case. So far, so good.

      Delete
  3. Looks good. i'm thinking of making something similar out of some old shed shelves. Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete