09 August 2012

Spring is in the air

I know its only August, and everyone tells me that the start of the Ekka marks a cold snap before winter finally gives over, but I'm feeling springy.  And the garden seems to be agreeing with me.  There are lots of lovely things happening there and the new chicks are laying up a storm.  Yesterday we collected 22 eggs!  You should see our fridge.  But here's what's growing

I put in some baby beets and they almost look too gorgeous to harvest.  A real bit of colour amongst the greens.
I did some dense planting of brassicas this season to see what would happen.  We've had a bit of white cabbage moth and some brassicas have grown faster than other, but that is really just succession planting I figure.  So we have, in this section, about 8 cauliflowers, 10 broccoli and 12 kale that have come through nicely.
The broad beans are growing behind the potatoes and seem to be incredibly happy.  I've got the same arrangement in the patch next door, but they aren't so abundant - go figure.
 And here are our two rows of lovely garlic.  They seem to be doing well and the harvest won't be too far off.
 And lastly our gorgeous peas.  We are getting so many of them and I've put peas on every fence as well as trying that River Cottage idea to put branches in the ground and them up those.  So plenty of tasty peas.

5 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking promisingly productive for Spring. I think you are right about the weather. Though it's seemed almost Springlike the weather here turned to freezing and it actually snowed. Winter's not over yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you felt the same on your blog, but I did feel bad when the temperature here today is 25! We've been having temps in the low 20's but it takes 25 for me to feel springy. Spoilt I know!

      Delete
  2. Sandy - it's looking good. I, too, have broccoli, garlic and beets growing. But with the snow and rain that we're having, Spring is obviously still a way. But, that isn't going to stop me from sowing some seeds in empty egg shells today. I can't wait... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the pics of snow in Joburg. I remember when my son was six months old (so 1996) we had a light dusting and it stopped the city. But this week is crazy!! So I can't imagine how cold it still is for you. But I agree Dani - we just keep putting seeds in the ground and believe....

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete